Skip to main content

Twenty Fourth Night or What You Will

 

It was a peculiar night, the kind of night where stories come to life. Houses of ill repute and blinking streetlamps dimly illuminated the town. Leaving behind footprints on the snowy mud, a cloaked man walks...

A tavern stood, barely visible in the blizzard. The man walked in and slips in two pence to a least drunk man and asks. "Point me to the direction of one William Shakespeare." The man lazily pocketed the coin and pointed to a jovial man chatting animatedly to a bored and half-asleep barkeep. Taking a stool near him, the man ordered a whiskey. In his merry mood, William studied the man. "Haven't seen you here before?" William asks.

"Haven't been here before."

"Ha, a witty traveler, just what I needed."

William turned his chair to the man and extended his hand, chuckling drunkenly.

"The name's William Shakespeare."

The stranger made no move to shake Williams's hand. The rude yet witty stranger was getting more and more mysterious and intriguing. That much was clear from William's smile.

"I write plays to make a living, and you seem like a good character for one. Tell me your story. I will immortalize you." he said in benevolence.

The man put down his empty glass and moved to wave down the barkeep, but before he could, William jumped behind the bar, grabbed the top shelf bottle, and resumed his seat in a matter of seconds. With the new bottle concealed under the table, he talks in a hushed voice.

"This is the most expensive bottle here. If you give me your story, I will share this with you."

The stranger didn't even turn his head to look at the bottle. And just before the silence rotted. "The name is Hoby." He pulled back his hood to reveal a serious man with deep brown eyes, which to William, looked like a muddy puddle of melancholy. William excitedly refilled Hoby's glass with the dusty bottle and toped his own before putting it between his legs. "I used to serve a duchess. After her marriage, I left to find someone" the man poured down the glass into his mouth and swallowed with ease. "Oh come on, I didn't just give you a drink more pricy than my life to get such a small information" William spoke as if they were old friends. When he met silence, William took a sip of his glass and found the scotch to burn his lips.

"I've always admired my lady. Somewhere along the way, admiration grew into love. But I suppressed it. Then one day I got a letter by her hand confessing her love for me. My enthusiasm made me blind by love and the promise of all that comes with it. But it was just a harmless practical joke by her maid and uncle. They convinced my lady that I was mad and locked me in a cell with no light and almost convinced me that I was going mad, just for a giggle, of course. When I finally was released, she married someone she met hours before. Her uncle and maid also found a happily ever after, what a fabulous comedy. You are a playwright so you would know about comedies right. They always end in marriages and tragedies in death?" the stranger spoke without even turning his head. His eyes were swimming in the empty scotch glass. William lost all his buzz and sat paralyzed looking at the man. A strange sense of peculiarity washed over William. He took another sip of his glass, this time it didn't burn. Silence stood between the men like a specter of past and present.

The man stood up and walked towards the wash. He looked back to William, sitting frozen but the gears in his head-turning. Hoby beckoned a man sitting alone drinking cheap beer to the shadow of the corner and gave him a gold ring as payment and whispered something in his ear. As Hoby walked into the wash the man walked past William, slightly brushing him. And made a somewhat clumsy exit.

Hoby resumed his seat after a while, but William hadn't moved an inch. Hoby took the bottle, refilled William's glass, and emptied the bottle to his mouth before concealing his face again. "Anything else you want to know?" the man asked. William could only whisper a no with distant eyes as if looking through reality itself. The man hailed the barkeep for a refill.

 As the barkeep obliged, he spots the bottle on the table near William, and his jaw dropped. "You goddamned wanderer, you drank my most prized possession." The barkeep screamed, waking every single soul slumbering in the filthy corners of the tavern. "I knew you were a nutcase, your stupid stories about devils granting wishes. If you can't pay for the bottle, you are dead." The sound of impending conflict drew in people like a moth to fire. As the last spray of spit left the barkeep, a circle of men formed around William. Coming back to reality by the overwhelming anger of the barkeep and the smiling faces of the people around him, William spoke with a shaking voice.

 "I will give you all the money I carry, but the rest I can only pay after tomorrow. Don't worry. I am a famous playwright in London. I assure you I can pay you back."

Suddenly his face grew pale as he realized he didn't have his money purse with him. His nervous patting down made the situation clear for the barkeep.  The moment hung there for a moment before a fist connected with William's jaw. The barkeep then jumped over the bar and picked up William by his collar for another, but before he could, a strong hand stopped him. As he was turning back cursing, he met a fist that knocked the wind out of him. What followed can be described as a bloody and filthy bar fight, but that would be an oversimplification.

When the fight was over, everyone dusted themselves off except one man who still lay face down in the mud near the bar. As the men turned him over, they found him with a deep gash in his heart and a quill impaled in the wound.

Later that night. The hooded man walks in the blizzard through the mountains. Shedding his cloak, he looked up to the heavens and spoke as if to a lover, "My name is Malvolio Hoby, and I have killed my maker"

News of the murder in the tavern spread throughout London. It even reached the globe theatre. The news broke William Shakespeare's heart. His best friend and rival Kit Marlow has been killed in a bar fight.

Comments

popular posts

How the night and fog blinds

  I crossed the fence to my best friend's house and walked in without a purpose. His sister smiled at me, taking a break from sweeping. Her smile was gentle and warm, but those who knew her well knew she had teeth behind those lips. A long time ago, she caught me and him touching each other. I returned her smile genuinely and went in search of him in his room. I never needed permission to enter this house. Having my second breakfast with him, we went out, as we always do. But what we do always changes. Sometimes we smoke in the abandoned roofing tile factory, sometimes we play cricket with the other kids till the owner of the paddy field chases us away. One time we even walked to the nearest town on a whim, which was about 50 km away. We did everything together since we were children. Today the adventure was of a romantic nature. The new love of his life was going to the temple, and obviously, like any other "naadan lover-boy" we stalked her. He already wrote a disgusti

In Defence of the Humble Lie

Many may distinctly remember from their childhood a scene, where they realized that their mother (and/or) father will eventually die. Many may have asked their parents if they would die. I remember asking my mother that question and she told me the truth. Seeing me cry my eyes out and suffered my first broken heart she confessed that she was playing a prank on me and that parents don’t die. I never been hastier to believe anything and I deliberately refused myself to ever ask or think that question again. But when my sister became around the same age as me, she also had the same query. And my curious and analyzing eyes scanned every feature of my mother’s face. Without missing a beat she said parents don’t ever die. And my sister resumed her play content with the answer. I needed to become a big brother to understand why lies are important. That lie may have protected me from losing my childhood more than necessary and incurring any more trauma than we all get our fair share of. Ou

White Pickett Fence

Behind this fence I stand Waiting for an invite, in. So late did I understand This white picket fence is not that thin I stare through these wooden boards, The keyhole on a broken glass door To catch a glimpse of that which is; in. Hour hands broke the clock And away, did it ran While i pick this paper lock With a stolen compass needle. Little did I know  This lock I can't break  And this hope I must forsake. Thus here I stand, outside this fence, Looking at my would have been friends. Earning for the other side Cursing at this damned divide. Forever must I stay outside With my aching heart still denied A chance to see the world outside my head?

Green Dreams

Ashes for sale. Ashes for sale. Ashes of the person who You wanted to be. And ashes of the person who you came to be Ashes of your dreams You forgot to live. And ashes of your dreams You should have believed. Ashes of your children You forgot to raise. And ashes of your children You forgot to chase. Ashes of your parents You left so far behind. And ashes of your parents Whom you were assigned. Ashes of everything you could have been And everything you had lost. Ashes of everything you dreamed you had. With this sacrificial rites to your everyday ghost.

ഇരുട്ട് കണ്ടതിനു ശേഷം

ഈ കവിതയൊരെന്ത്രമോ എൻ മനസ്സിന്റെ തന്ത്രമോ ഭ്രാന്തമാം ലോകത്തിൻ കാഴ്ച മറയ്ക്കുന്ന മായാ മന്ത്രമോ കാമമോ കാലമോ അജ്ഞതാ- ക്ഷേത്രമോ. ഞാൻ സ്വയം പറയുന്ന കള്ളമോ കഥകളോ. ചോരയാൽ ചേറിൽ വരഞ്ഞ ഈ ചിത്രങ്ങളെൻ അന്ധതാ ബാക്കിപത്രങ്ങൾ. കലികാലലോകത്തെ കളിയായിക്കണ്ടവൾ ഒളിക്കാതെ വാഴുന്നു എൻ്റെ വീട്ടിൽ കരിവേഷമാടുന്ന നരഭോജിനാടിൻ്റെ കണ്ണിലിരുപ്പു ഞാൻ ഷണ്ടനായി.

My Asylum Walls

There is a world shaped hole in my window pane With cracks and breaks like spider web, like the word shaped pain in my shattered soul. Virgin sights outside my doors Veil of lust inside my bones. Something calming about that broken glass. A broken world outside those bars. Smeared out moons and snuffed out stars, Those i still see through these broken glass. A gust of wind or a drop of sound, I still look through these broken glass Swirling trees and flying brooks Those i still see through my broken glass So long within these asylum walls But i still look through these window less halls

സ്വാഭാവിക മരണം

കഥകൾ എന്നെ കബളിപ്പിച്ചു. അവളതിമനോഹരിയാണ്. അളന്ന് വയ്ക്കുന്ന കാലടികൾ. കാറ്റിൽ കവിത കോറിയിടുന്ന വിരലുകൾ. അവൾക്കാഭരണങ്ങളും ആടകളും ചേർച്ചയല്ല. ആദ്യനക്ഷത്രം പിറവികൊള്ളുമ്പോൾ, അവളുടെ കണ്ണുകൾ അവിടെയുണ്ടായിരുന്നു. അവസാന തിരി തണുക്കുമ്പോഴും, അവൾ അവിടെയുണ്ടാകും. ആ കൽവിളക്ക് തൊട്ട് കണ്ണെഴുതാൻ. മുടി. ഇരുട്ടിന്റെ കറുപ്പാണ്, കെട്ടിയിട്ടില്ല മുഖത്തേക്ക് വീഴുന്നവയെ വകഞ്ഞു മാറ്റുന്നുമില്ല. ആ കൈ പിടിച്ച് ഞാൻ നടന്നു. അവൾക്കനുകമ്പയും അറപ്പുമില്ല അവളെങ്ങോട്ടും പോവുകയുമില്ല എവിടെ നിന്നും വന്നതുമല്ല. അവൾക്കർത്ഥവും നിർവചനവുമില്ല അതിൻ്റെ ആവശ്യവുമില്ല. അവൾ മരണമാണ്, പക്ഷെ... കഥകളിലെ പോലെ അല്ല.

TWO HALVES OF A MAN

  Lazarus, that's my name. I was trapped on an island in 1944, for fifteen years. An Earthquake destroyed many underwater mountains making fishing possible for the region I was trapped in. It led to my rescue. When I was deployed in the war, my beloved wife and four-year-old son were heartbroken. After years of prayer, did we get our son. I couldn't see him grow up and become a man. I couldn't teach him how to shave or how to do basic repairs of a car or teach him how to ride a bike or shoot. I couldn't be there for my wife. She might have suffered a lot. Some part of me wishes that she remarried yet, my soul prays she is still waiting for me. I miss her smile when I would be cutting the firewood or sweeping the yard. She needed me for everything in the house. My heart melts when I think of how she had to take care of the house and raise our son alone. My son would be a man by now. The man of the house. I hope he is good to his mother. I hope he does well in school. I

SINS OF THE FORGETTER

  It was a perfectly ordinary day by all means. The sun was shining on him, radiating warmth. The ground beneath his feet, a sense of security. Sometimes the most extraordinary things happen on days like these. For instance, the death of God. Joy walked into his new high school. Head held high with an invisible effort and his smile constantly changing and correcting itself. He knew no one would dare tell him that he only got into this school because of his father, Archangel Gabriel, but he knew. Lucian Academy for Angels and Demons. Here the best and brightest of celestial offspring learn and, once in a while, get the opportunity to be an archangel, an honour of the highest order. Archangel Remiel was old enough to die soon and the students would jump at the chance to be him. When an old angel dies, his body is destroyed but his soul remains with all his knowledge and memories concerning himself. A new student is selected and his body is offered as host to the soul. And his young sou

A Song Stolen From Time

 The broken winged wild bird is Trying for one last song, again. Sitting alone on a woody carcass left behind by an axe Preening her unbroken wing. And an arduous search for notes Between thin staves of pain. Cursed with the fate to sing it alone, No mate or flock to sing it along.   Children who drank her warmth Have long gone, pecking and pricking. As the night flower blooms in hopes of seeing the twilight. With light, songs and wind in her heart, not for anyone, The broken winged wild bird is Breathing slowly one last song, again.   To hear this song that shines in the dark Trees, rain and night chill stood mourning, around While the shadows, rivers and weeds kept the rhythm aground. Even if no one is here, there are flowers and stars around to hear it, Because the song is cheery as honey, kind as dreams And tears to bear it.   The pain of her wing; so dry,   Melts away in her one last song As she embrace the vast sky   In her fl