Skip to main content

TWO HALVES OF A MAN

 

Lazarus, that's my name. I was trapped on an island in 1944, for fifteen years. An Earthquake destroyed many underwater mountains making fishing possible for the region I was trapped in. It led to my rescue. When I was deployed in the war, my beloved wife and four-year-old son were heartbroken. After years of prayer, did we get our son. I couldn't see him grow up and become a man. I couldn't teach him how to shave or how to do basic repairs of a car or teach him how to ride a bike or shoot. I couldn't be there for my wife. She might have suffered a lot. Some part of me wishes that she remarried yet, my soul prays she is still waiting for me. I miss her smile when I would be cutting the firewood or sweeping the yard. She needed me for everything in the house. My heart melts when I think of how she had to take care of the house and raise our son alone.

My son would be a man by now. The man of the house. I hope he is good to his mother. I hope he does well in school. I hope he has not replaced me. I hope they have not replaced me.

 The train of thought was disturbed by a sudden beam of light hitting Lazarus's face. He sat straight, looking out the window. Paddy fields and hills stretch as far as the eye can see. Bright golden sunlight occasionally peeks through clouds that look like cotton balls. Birds in different formations take to the skies. The gentle rocking of the train felt like that of a mother. The hot tea which he cupped in his arms radiated warmth throughout his body. The smell of tea and people laughing filled the carriage. Only a few more hours and then he can see his family again. The small compass now glinted in his hands, his thumb brushed over the crack on its glass. A small child sleeping on his father's shoulder dropped his toy. When he returned it and resumed his seat, Lazarus decided to give the compass to his son. It will be a great conversation starter. The story behind his struggle for survival. How he spends each evening imagining a dinner with his son and wife. The smell of baked bread spread a smile on his face. As he dunks a crisp piece of warm bread in the tea, he wondered if his son still eats bread like this.

He turned over and opened the compass to look at the picture of his wife and son. It's now crumbled and almost faded but, he could always see them there, smiling. Having put his head on the window again to feel the sway of the train, Lazarus found no resistance in going back to his dreams.

My only fear is finding another man in the house. What if she remarried? Why do I hope that, she had someone to lean on in my absence but that he should leave now that I am back? Maybe my son may have found a better father figure in one of his teachers. But that is no longer needed as I, his father, is now back.

As the train exited the tunnel, new honey-like sunlight washed his face for a moment. When he was blinded by it, he saw a happy family, him, his son, and his wife. They aged. His son is a big strong capable man now. His arms are around them. They look complete.

The orange evening skies called back birds to their nests. He walks down the familiar path to his home. Almost nothing has changed same post office. Same rivers. Same skies since he saw as a child, teenager, and a man. This is the perfect evening, she may be busy in the kitchen, our son will soon come back home and now, so will I. The house looks exactly the same from afar. The chimney is smoking clouds into the sky. The house plants she kept on the kitchen window still smile. The faint shadow of a woman can be seen on the window. That familiar shape, her movements are like a flower in the breeze. He could almost feel her smile on his lips. As he knocked on the door, he was also prepared to see a man opening the door. If she was married, he was now prepared to let it be. Lazarus felt his arms getting colder each second the door didn't open. All his life contracted to a single second, and Lazarus could almost feel that second converging on him. The door opened.

'Eve, it's me Laz.'

He slowly embraced her. After a brief moment, a small hand was felt on his back. She invited him in. the small living room is full of their son's pictures. The trophies and ribbons in them told many stories. His eyes panicky looked around for another wedding photo but, there were none. He sat at the head of the table and, she took the seat to his left. They said nothing for a few moments. His hands found hers. They were cold but familiar. 'There wasn't a day I didn't think about you and Jack,' he waited for her to enclose her hands around his, but she didn't, she sat there looking at the fireplace with a blank face. Her face looked like someone drew it. 'I was trapped on an island they found me only a few days ago, I wanted to give you a surprise that's why I didn't call. I thought I would never see you again… I thought I would never talk to another human being again.'

The door opened and a strapping young man came in. jack knew, exactly who this man was. He stood frozen as Lazarus ran to his son and took him in an embrace. A moment later, jack returned the embrace. They parted. Jack made no move to remove his sweater jackets. He moved to his mother and touched her shoulder. Jack sat at the head of the table. Lazarus took the seat opposite Eve. He relayed the story of his entrapment and survival on the island. Sometime later, he gave the compass to jack, who held it close to his chest as something resembling a dew formed in the corner of his silent eyes. They ate in silence.

The next day Lazarus repacked his bag and before the family awoke, he silently walked through the dew-covered grass to the railway station. Birds are waking up and singing. The eye of the sky is opening. The squelch of his boots on the dewy ground is rhythmic and calming. Spending all his money on the ticket to the farthest train, Lazarus sat in silence. Jack and Eve woke up. Eve came to Lazarus' room with his tea but, there was no sign of him having slept, and his bag is gone. She put the tea on the table and sat looking at the fire. Jack sat with her for a few minutes, and poured some tea from the cup into the saucer, and drank it. He went out with an ax and started to split firewood. Eve drank the rest and tightened her apron.

As the train gained speed, Lazarus took out his notebook and poured his heart into it.

"I don't blame them. They became me to survive. As they did what I was responsible to do, they stopped needing me. I could have stayed back they would have let me stay. They would have given me food. They would have loved me in time. They would have looked after me as if I was the man of the house. But something would have been missing.  They lost their husband and father they missed him, they mourned him and, they became him themselves. I saw the fireplace stocked with wood. She would pester me for days before I would stock the fireplace. The yard is clean and proper. I didn't do it. Jack is doing well in school, I didn't send him. I didn't pay his fees. My army pension may have, but I didn't. Eve found happiness I didn't help her. They found life in the chaos, I didn't make it easy. I was trapped on that island they were trapped on the world. I hunted to survive they didn't. All I know is how I survived perhaps it was tougher for them than me. All I had to do was find food and shelter, but they had to live. They split what a father is and divided the responsibilities. What is the point of being resurrected from the dead if you were not living in the first place?

It is not to live or survive but to have a life to live is more important. They have it. I must find it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How the night and fog blinds

  I crossed the fence to my best friend's house and walked in without a purpose. His sister smiled at me, taking a break from sweeping. Her smile was gentle and warm, but those who knew her well knew she had teeth behind those lips. A long time ago, she caught me and him touching each other. I returned her smile genuinely and went in search of him in his room. I never needed permission to enter this house. Having my second breakfast with him, we went out, as we always do. But what we do always changes. Sometimes we smoke in the abandoned roofing tile factory, sometimes we play cricket with the other kids till the owner of the paddy field chases us away. One time we even walked to the nearest town on a whim, which was about 50 km away. We did everything together since we were children. Today the adventure was of a romantic nature. The new love of his life was going to the temple, and obviously, like any other "naadan lover-boy" we stalked her. He already wrote a disgusti

In Defence of the Humble Lie

Many may distinctly remember from their childhood a scene, where they realized that their mother (and/or) father will eventually die. Many may have asked their parents if they would die. I remember asking my mother that question and she told me the truth. Seeing me cry my eyes out and suffered my first broken heart she confessed that she was playing a prank on me and that parents don’t die. I never been hastier to believe anything and I deliberately refused myself to ever ask or think that question again. But when my sister became around the same age as me, she also had the same query. And my curious and analyzing eyes scanned every feature of my mother’s face. Without missing a beat she said parents don’t ever die. And my sister resumed her play content with the answer. I needed to become a big brother to understand why lies are important. That lie may have protected me from losing my childhood more than necessary and incurring any more trauma than we all get our fair share of. Ou

Green Dreams

Ashes for sale. Ashes for sale. Ashes of the person who You wanted to be. And ashes of the person who you came to be Ashes of your dreams You forgot to live. And ashes of your dreams You should have believed. Ashes of your children You forgot to raise. And ashes of your children You forgot to chase. Ashes of your parents You left so far behind. And ashes of your parents Whom you were assigned. Ashes of everything you could have been And everything you had lost. Ashes of everything you dreamed you had. With this sacrificial rites to your everyday ghost.